How to Connect

Privacy Notice

The Campus Social Workers cannot discuss details of any student's situation with others -- including family members, medical providers, mental health providers or other third parties -- without the student's consent, as protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).

If in the course of communication with the referring party or the student, however, an urgent health or safety concern is raised, the OCSW is mandated by law and professional ethics to disclose the information to appropriate professional entities. Such concerns include suspected child or elder abuse, threats of danger to oneself or others, and grave disability due to a mental disorder.

If a student would like for their social worker to speak with a third party, the student will need to fill out, sign and return our Release and Exchange of Information form to their assigned social worker.

You can refer to our Consent for Services & Privacy Notice for more detailed privacy information.


Referrals can be made by UCI faculty or staff only. Generally, students may not self-refer. Campus Social Worker services are meant to complement and support current campus services offered to students.

If you are faculty or staff member and think a student may benefit from CSW services, you should obtain consent from the student prior to requesting our assistance.

Referrals can be made by email, phone or by using our online referral form.


Due to the CSWs having limited availability, occupying multiple locations on campus, and working with specialized populations, the office cannot accept drop-ins. Students will need to make an appointment for meetings.

Find our phone number and office email address on our Contact Us page.

Accommodations Notice

If you have disability-related needs and wish to request reasonable accommodations, please let our office know and we will connect you to the Disability Services Center (DSC). You can also contact DSC directly by phone at (949) 824-7494 (TTY: (949) 824-6272) or in person at 100 Disability Services Center / Building 313.