Summary of Campus Mental Health Counseling Services

For Students

Counseling Center services are available to enrolled undergraduates, graduates and professional school students (Business, Health Sciences and Law). Continuing Education students are not eligible.

Services include short term, time limited individual, couples, group and family counseling. The Center also assists students with urgent care and some psychological testing.

There is no charge for services, as the Counseling Center is funded by Student Services Fees.


Making an Appointment:

203 Student Services 1
(949) 824-6457
Hours: Monday-Friday 8:00AM-5:00PM (After-hours urgent assistance available by phone.)

The Student Health Center offers psychiatric and mental health services in an outpatient clinic setting. Students can self-refer, or sometimes they are referred by the Counseling Center if they need longer-term treatment. There is no time limit to treatment for registered students.

Services are covered by and billed to the Student Health Insurance Plan (UC SHIP) and students are responsible for co-payment per visit. Students without SHIP would pay for services out of pocket and be responsible for any claims for reimbursement to their insurance carrier.

Treatable Conditions:

What to Know before Scheduling:

501 Student Health
(949) 824-5304
Hours: Monday-Friday 8:00AM-5:00PM

In addition to the Counseling Center and Student Health Center, medical students have the option of services through the School of Medicine Wellness Program.


For Faculty & Staff

Services are available to all UC Irvine faculty and staff, including UCI Health/UCI Medical Center employees.

This information is accurate as of 2024 UC benefits.

ComPsych GuidanceResources provides support, resources and information for personal and work-life issues. The EAP service is company-sponsored, confidential and provided at no charge to employees and their dependents.

Confidential counseling service is available to help address stress, anxiety, depression, job pressures, relationship/marital conflicts, grief and loss, problems with children, substance abuse and other personal issues. It is staffed by highly trained master's and doctoral level clinicians who will listen to concerns and quickly refer callers to in-person counseling and other resources.

(844) 824-3273
Hours: Any time

For more information, visit:

Mental health and physical health go hand in hand, so UC's medical coverage includes behavioral health benefits for mental health services and substance abuse treatment, included in the medical plan premium. Members can use their behavioral health benefits for sessions with counselors, psychologists or psychiatrists. Charges and network vary depending on the benefits plan.

For more information and benefits booklets, visit:

HMO Plans

Coverage is provided by

  • Health Net Behavioral Health for employees enrolled in UC Blue & Gold.
  • Kaiser and/or Optum for employees enrolled in Kaiser.

There is no charge for the first three routine office or telemental health visits. There is a $20 copayment for each following visit.

For information about your benefits and help finding a provider, call MHN at (800) 663-9355, Optum at (888) 440-8225 or Kaiser at (800) 900-3277.

PPO Plans

Coverage is provided by Anthem Blue Cross for employees enrolled in CORE, UC Care and the UC Health Savings Plan.

Charges for routine office or telemental health visits vary by plan and whether a provider is in-network or out-of-network.

For information about your benefits and help finding an in-network provider, call Anthem at (844) 437-0486.

The Coordinator of Faculty & Staff Support Services offers on-site support to help facilitate and coordinate appropriate resources and time-limited case management for UCI and UCI Health faculty and staff navigating behavioral health issues. Individual services include consultation and support in the form of problem assessment, referrals and crisis intervention. Services are confidential and by appointment only.

(949) 824-5208

Community Resources

An online resource list of descriptions and contact information for low-cost community services, including local mental health and counseling providers, maintained by the Office of the Campus Social Worker.


Utilize Welltrack Connect database to search for off-campus therapists, or talk to a Counseling Center case manager to assist with off-campus referrals.